There is nothing more refreshing than having a clean glass of drinking water.
“We tend to take water for granted until we don’t have any – at which point it becomes the most important thing in the world.”
What is Dehydration? There are several stages of dehydration, but the primary thing you need to understand is that when the body begins to lose water it will begin to function irregularly and in severe cases vital organs begin to shut down. The effects of water loss could include: thirst, dark colored urine, dry mouth/lips/eyes, dizziness/light-headedness, headache, lethargy, and in severe cases irregular pulse, trouble breathing, unconsciousness, and even death. Lack of water can prevents the body from being able to regulate your core body temperature, and could result in heat exhaust or heat stroke.
Rationing/Conserving Water and Delaying Dehydration – There is a lot of debate on rationing your water, or conserving it, and I am no expert, but I am convinced your body will utilize the water as needed. Rationing your water can be beneficial if it gives you a psychological advantage by continually moistening your lips, mouth, and throat. Just be careful not to be so conservative that you are found dead from dehydration with a canteen of water.
Water Sources – Choosing a choice water source can be difficult, but it is important to find the cleanest, clearest, flowing water you can find. Water Sources could consist of springs, streams, rivers, wells, lakes, ponds, seepage, rain cavities, vegetation, vines, and trees.
5 Primary Water Hazards
- Bacteria/Pathogens: Cholera, Echoli, Salmonella
- Protozoa/Amoebas: Crypto, Giardia
- Virus: Hepatitis A & E
- Parasite: Hook Worms, Tapeworms
- Chemicals/Metals/Additives – Fluoride, oils/fuels, phosphate, lead, mercury, arsenic
5 Primary Water Treatment Methods
- Boil – Over a Fire, Rock Boil
- Filter – Commercial Filters, Tripod Filter, Bottle Filter
- Chemical – Tablets, Iodine, Bleach, Natural Teas Volatile Oils (Mint)(Pine Needles
- Solar/UV – Pasteurization, Transpiration, Solar Still
If you have absolutely no means of treating or boiling water, you should try to:
- Find the clearest flowing water and collect it from the surface.
- Fill canteen with mouth facing away from current.
- Avoid water sources with animal tracks, scat, or carcass.
- Filter Debris out with a bandanna, or sock as a last resort.
- Remember, it’s better to drink foul water than not to drink at all, and die.
Show your support, like, share, subscribe, and be sure to check out the corresponding YouTube Video: 6 Principles of Survival – Minimize Dehydration. Thanks – Justin “Sage” Williams